Wednesday, September 2, 2009

SAND POINT ANTIQUE SHOW--what fun!!

It's a rare occasion when everything aligns in perfect unison for a show . . . great weather, awesome new finds fabulously displayed by great and talented dealers, and (especially) happy customers rapidly plucking abundant treasures~~


The nature of each show seems to take on a life of it's own--depending on the headline news, the temperature outside (and in!), and the "mood" of the crowd.  Whenever I try to guess what will sell, I'm generally wrong . . . 


It's truly difficult to keep your finger on the pulse of the buying public, as the whims of trend ebb and flow.  Magazines, blogs, Ebay, Craig's List, etc. have forever altered the landscape; and that landscape changes rapidly!


My philosophy is to present what I like--after all, if it doesn't sell "you know who" gets to keep looking at it . . . 


One of my favorite things about shows is that--like the lucky customers--I get to see what is in the mind's eye of so many other junquies in one fell swoop.  It makes me delirious with joy and inspiration and helps me stay the course during tough economic times.


I hesitate to consider this latest show as any lasting indicator, but it was certainly a boost for my morale and optimism.  We are all figuratively the Little Engine that COULD and CAN!!!!


Many, many years ago I decided to follow my passion--leaving behind a lucrative career in high tech.  It has been like climbing Mt. Everest and has certainly been no overnight sensation.  But I can't wait to get up every day and do what I love, love, love--YIPPEE!!!


However, I do think the whole "do what you love~~the money will follow" thing is a bit overrated and oversimplified.  You've got to be willing to survive the highs and lows.  That's harder than it sounds, but worth all the effort!

If you attended the show, I wonder if  you felt the same tingle of warmth and happiness that I did?  It was the most fun I've had at a show in a long time.  If you didn't go . . . I'm sorry!


With crisp, clear mornings and signs of autumn on the prowl, my eyes yearn for rich, harvest colors . . . the changing seasons are a real gift in the Pacific Northwest.  So many people have suffered under weather conditions so horrible this year.   And while I feel so badly for them, it's crystal clear why I choose to live here!


Thank you, thank you, thank you FABULOSO customers and friendly dealers for a fantastic experience this past Sunday.  It was a banner day that makes me count my blessings!


1 comment:

Tippy Stockton said...

Hi Deb - Yes indeed, I felt it!!! Is the change in the weather??? Feeling like nesting again. It was SO great to see you again - your displays were again eye-candy and of course I walked away with a few things. It's back to Studio getting ready for the next 3 shows. GADS!!! See you soon. P.